Cybersecurity Tips Offered for Consumers and Businesses
released on October 5, 2017
found in newsletter: October 2017
BATON ROUGE – October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month, and Attorney General Jeff Landry is recognizing this annual campaign to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity by issuing safety tips to Louisiana’s consumers and businesses.
“Our office works diligently throughout the State to educate residents about cybersecurity and consumer protection,” said General Landry. “With the Internet touching virtually all aspects of people’s lives, we want to especially provide tools and resources to stay safe online.”
General Landry offered the following tips to internet users on how to practice cybersecurity:
· Set strong passwords and do not share them with anyone.
· Keep your operating system, browser, and other critical software optimized by installing updates.
· Make sure to have anti-virus and anti-malware software installed to keep malicious programs from attacking and infecting your personal computers.
· Maintain an open dialogue with your family, friends, and community about Internet safety.
· Limit the amount of personal information you post online and use privacy settings to avoid widely sharing information.
· Be cautious about what you receive or read online – remembering if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
General Landry also reminded consumers, in the wake of new reports that an additional 2.5 million people may have had their information compromised with Equifax, about his recent Public Service Announcement on how to protect identities in the event of a data breach. “Taking precautions and knowing the appropriate steps to make in the event of a data breach could prevent you from falling victim to fraudsters,” said General Landry.
More cyber safety tips may be found at http://www.agjefflandry.com/Article/45/0, and other consumer protection resources are available at www.AGJeffLandry.com or by calling General Landry’s Consumer Protection Hotline at 800-351-4889.
Original Press Release